Monday, November 1, 2010

Arguing Semantics

Did you make the decision to open and read this blog? Were you predestined to click that link?
I know that question sounds silly, but apparently this argument between the Calvinists & the Arminians has been going on for a while.

Did God predestine us for salvation or out of freewill did God allow us to choose Him?
I’ve been thinking and reading over this question, for the first time in my life I’ve come to the end of my theological rope. I have read the cases for both sides and both sides do have good points & holes in their arguments.

I’ve been hearing a lot when it comes to predestination vs. freewill.

The idea of predestination is that everything has already been decided and that every decision was made before you were even born. It’s just all playing out in the time line. Some people approach this as “Sweet, I don’t have to try because it has all been laid out already.” If you become lazy after this point then you were predestined to do so. So this can give the illusion of freewill.

I had been trying to figure out which side to take a stand on, divulge into what I believe & why I believe it.
After wrestling with this & trying to figure out the right answer, through deductive reasoning & biblical citations the answer came to me.

Both are wrong.
Both are correct.

The reason that they are both wrong is because instead of letting the focus & glory go to God we argue semantics over the “how”.

Hands down God chose us to be His children. How he accomplished that specifically shouldn’t be our focus. Our focus should be crying out a resounding “HALLELUJAH!” and praising God for what He has done. God gave of Himself so we could be saved. Out of His need for justice & love he sent Himself to block His loved ones from His wrath.

In the end what does it mean to our salvation that we were meant to be saved or it was a choice God gave to us.

Its not the argument that since we are predestined to do something for God that we can go on cruse control or that it is by our works we are saved. A Calvinist and a Arminian should have no difference in how they believe. Calvinist should not be boastful. Arminians should not rely on their choices to get them to heaven.

I look at the Calvinist as my brother, the Arminian as my sister. They are my family in Christ. We should never cause division in this family, the body of Christ.

Embrace your brother and do not quarrel amongst yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment