Sunday, January 2, 2011

My lesson in Humility

I must apologize because I realized that my last post sounded harsh. I know that because I follow Jesus people will be offended, but I need to watch out where that offence comes from. It will either originate with their rejection of the truth. For example if someone is lacking on hygiene and try to tell them humbly & politely “I don’t mean to offend you, but you may have forgotten to take a shower today.” This person will either welcome this information and go take a shower, or they could get offended because you called out something they didn’t want people to notice. The other scenario would be the way that you tell someone. If you walk up to this same person and say “Man, you smell like you stepped in dog poo. You need a bath, stinky.” While it may be true this is the proud or arrogant way to do it. So again I apologize and ask for your forgiveness that I was speaking proudly.

I would like to explain this in a more humble way. There are two major ways to sin, omission and commission.

Sins of Commission
To commit, to partake, carry out, complete, or do and act that is against God. I know that most of us are familiar with this. The heart of sin is idolatry. I know what you’re thinking “But I don’t have any statues”. Idolatry is to place something or someone in God’s rightful place as ruler over everything in our lives.  To find out truly ask yourself “Who is in control of your life?” If your answer is “Me, I control my life.” You are prideful and you idolize yourself (James 4:6). Another way to find out is truly ask yourself “What drives my life?” or “What do I spend the most time doing or thinking about?” Is it sex, money, power, religion, morality, missions/ministry? Are these things bad? No.

Sex with your spouse, in a godlily marriage, is a beautiful thing (Song of Solomon), but extramarital relations in thought & action is adultery (Matt 5:27-32).
Power is needed to make global changes (Rom 13:1).
Money is necessary for survival in this world, but do not chase after it because God will provide (Luke 12:6-7; Matt 6:24).
Religion & morality are great when we focus on God and not about relying on it to get to heaven (Eph 2:8-9; 1 Tim 4:1-5).
Missions & ministry are part of what we are told to do (Matt 28:16-20), but if you focus on ministry more than actually spreading the love of God it can become an idol (Matt 10:19-20; James 2:14-26).

There are a lot of good things, but to take them and put them over God is sinful.

Sins of Omission
The immediate reaction to this would be to then lock yourself in a room so that you might not sin by action.

“Whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.” James 4:17

And people might say that there are people that haven’t heard what to do, but because of God’s grace everyone has a conscious. So we all know the difference between good and evil, but let me clarify if you may have forgotten:

There are those who are hungry in the world. Feed them.
There are those without water. Drill them a well.
There are homeless. Shelter them.
There are orphans. Love them.
There are those who are naked. Clothe them.
There are those in jail. Visit them.
There are those who are sick. Give them medicine & care for them.
There are those in oppression. Free them.
There are those in despair. Bring them the hope.
There are those in need. Help them.


Matthew 25:36-41
I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me. 'Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?' And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

We are all sinners.  Give in to that feeling, that conviction. Tell God you’re sorry, and actually be sorry. Ask Him to change your heart and give you new motivation for Him. Take His love to others.

More on this can be found here:

No comments:

Post a Comment